Speaker Plan No.1937 --- 15" 2-way
By purchasing these plans you will automatically receive the following:
- 3D CAD Files (.iges & .stl format)
- Assembly & detail drawings (.PDF format) for bass cabinet and speaker stands
- 2D CAD Files for front baffle, rear panel fixed, rear panel removable (.dxf format)
Speaker cabinet No.1937 is for the avid DIY enthusiast wanting a baseline cabinet and horn design to form the foundations of a world class speaker. The plans include the drawings and 3D CAD files required to construct the speaker. The customer is expected to select a woofer and compression driver of choice, however the plans come already tuned for two woofers: TAD TL-1601A and 1601B. The ES Biradial horn features a 2" throat with standard hole spacing for a large format compression driver such as the BMS 4590. Please contact me if you need the TAD woofers. I can get these new from Japan which are made to order.
- Cabinet sized and tuned for TAD TL-1601A or B (port length 200mm and 230mm respectively)
- Front mount driver (driver installed inside cabinet by removing rear cover)
- x2 large 10cm diameter ports for low port turbulence
- ES-290 Biradial face mount to front baffle of enclosure 2" throat
- Compression driver mounting holes x2 M6 at 4.000" bolt centers
- Speaker dimensions: 600mm wide x 852mm tall x 400mm deep (not including horn)
- Speaker stand height: 260mm
- Listening height: 920mm (floor to tweeter)
- Assumes 24mm thick baltic birch plywood
- Solid hardwood speaker stand with traditional joinery
Bass Cabinet Tuning
- 129 Liter internal volume
- If using TAD TL-1601A cabinet is tuned to 36Hz (port length 200mm)
- If using TAD TL-1601B cabinet is tuned to 34Hz (port length is 230mm) (cabinet volume stays the same)
- x2 port 10cm in diameter, port velocity is 20m/s at full xmax
- Maximum SPL is 119.5dB SPL at 1m for one speaker
- Speaker sensitivity is 95.6dB at 1w(2.83v) 1m.
- 45 degree miter joints in corners, with solid hardwood radius inserts along outside edges (see photos) to provide a rounded appearance to the cabinet and match the 6mm radius on the edges of the horn mouth (see pictures).
- Removable rear cover with secondary panel immediately behind rear cover for terminal plate. This keeps the terminal plate in place even when the rear cover is removed.
- Terminal plate includes two sets of binding posts along with provisions for x2 L-PADS
- It is assumed that the purchaser has access to a CNC machine to construct the horns.
- Manual woodworking methods can be used for the cabinet but it suggested that a CNC machine be used for the cabinet as well.
- It is assumed that the purchaser has access to CAM programming to program the CNC machine to cut the horn. Please see the general information page on finding a local CNC shop.